50 greatest films & videos of the 2000's
frame enlargements from Robert Breer's What Goes Up
Here is my favorite 50 films made between 2000-2010.
One film per film-maker. In a very arbitrary order of preference:
- What Goes Up (2003) - Robert Breer
- Three Times (2005) - Hou Hsiao-hsien
- The God of Day Had Gone Down Upon Him (2000) - Stan Brakhage
- Un Lac (2009) - Philippe Grandrieux
- As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (2000) - Jonas Mekas
- Poetry and Truth (2003) - Peter Kubelka
- Glider (2001) - Ernie Gehr
- Corpus Callosum (2002) - Michael Snow
- Miami Vice (2006) - Michael Mann
- Worldly Desires (2005) - Apichatpong Weerasethakul
- 'R Xmas (2001) - Abel Ferrara
- Yi Yi (2000) - Edward Yang
- Chats perchés (2004) - Chris Marker
- Ten Videos: 3 (2006) - Kyle Canterbury
- Le silence de Lorna (2008) - Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne
- Va savoir (2001) - Jacques Rivette
- The Decay of Fiction (2002) - Pat O'Neill
- The Legend of Nile (2009) - Eytan Ipeker
- L'arrotino (2001) - Danièle Huillet & Jean-Marie Straub
- Two Lovers (2008) - James Gray
- Sobibór, 14 octobre 1943, 16 heures (2001) - Claude Lanzmann
- Kedma (2002) - Amos Gitai
- A Talking Picture (2003) - Manoel de Oliveira
- Süt (2008) - Semih Kaplanoğlu
- İklimler (2006) - Nuri Bilge Ceylan
- Le Temps Qui Reste (2005) - François Ozon
- Still Life (2006) - Jia Zhang Ke
- Zodiac (2007) - David Fincher
- 30 Days of Night (2007) - David Slade
- Grizzly Man (2005) - Werner Herzog
- Ohio Postcard (2009) - Ekrem Serdar
- The Host (2006) - Bong Joon-ho
- Lachrymae (2000) - Brian Frye
- Eureka (2000) - Shinji Aoyama
- Breaking News (2004) - Johnnie To
- Vicdan (2008) - Erden Kıral
- Où gît votre sourire enfoui? (2001) - Pedro Costa
- Songs from the Second Floor (2000) - Roy Andersson
- EVO (2002) - Oliver Hockenhull
- La fille coupée en deux (2007) - Claude Chabrol
- Ten (2002) - Abbas Kiarostami
- The New World (2005) - Terrence Malick
- The Edge of Love (2008) - John Maybury
- Engulfment (3) (2009) - Adam Rokhsar
- Russian Ark (2002) - Alexander Sokurov
- I Don't Want to Sleep Alone (2006) - Tsai Ming-liang
- La frontière de l'aube (2008) - Philippe Garrel
- Tatil Kitabı (2008) - Seyfi Teoman
- Buffalo Postcard (for Ekrem) (2009) - Can Eskinazi
- Orchard (2004) - Julie Murray
Sorry it took me a while to respond to this...
I'm just discovering Straubs, "L'arrotino" was the first one that really moved me, so at the moment it is my favorite Straub-Huillet film, along with "Il Viandante"... I'm sure Pedro Costa's doc (also included in the list) helped me appreciate these much more. Now I should give Straub-Huillet films another look. I would really like to read Pavese's texts before seeing the films...
What Straub-Huillet would you choose for 2000-2009, and which one is your favorite in general?
I hope Robert Breer isn't included in the 20... You should at least see the films... Other than Rossellini, I don't think there is anyone greater.
I'm afraid my favorite Straubs are yet "Chronik der Anna Magdalena Bach", "Von Heute auf Morgen", "Sicilia!", "Nicht versöhnt", "Le Genou d'Artemide", "Klassenverhältnisse", "Dalla nube alla Resistenza"... for the period in question, it would be "Le Genou d'Artemise", "Operai, contadini", "Quei nostri incontri", I think, although I like almost every Straub-Huillet film I have seen very much. Perhaps the two which leave me colder are the very interesting "Corneille-Brecht" and "Itinéraire de Jean Bricard"...
¨three times¨ isn't a bad one to start with at all. i think you will also enjoy his ¨cafe lumiere¨.
i think rivette is very underrated in turkey, or perhaps not enough known, although people seem to know a lot about new wave, truffaut, godard, etc. to me, rivette is far better than almost all other new-wavers.
It also makes me very happy that you think John Berger should be pleased with the title of my website. I personally wouldn't go that far. But also, I should add that, although the title of his book was in my mind while titling the website, there were other things in my mind too.
I wrote more about this here: http://waysofseeing.org/about.html
These are the three most งานออนไลน์ popular 스포츠 토토 사이트 forms of gambling, and are explained febcasino.com in a very concise and concise manner. The septcasino most 바카라 사이트 common forms of gambling are: